>From: Shareef Siddeek <[log in to unmask]>
>Date: Tuesday, 8 November 2005 12:22

>A couple of people have responded to my query in quick time. Many thanks
>to them. Their answer is 132 characters to a line under Fortran90 as
>well as Fortran2003.

>There are a few follow up questions, I need to get answers to:

>1. Then, if a statement needs 396 characters,

No, the limit is 132 characters.

> instead of writing all 396
>chrs in a single line, I may be able to write the statement in three
>lines of 132 chrs each with a continuation character (&). Does the
>blanks between words count?

Yes. So does the '&'.  See above.

>2. How about the maximum number of characters in the DATA module? Does
>the same rule apply?

The limit for any line is 132 characters.

3. I am using the Compaq visual Fortran 6.6 compiler with Fortran 90
source codes. In a number of programs with free format source codes, I
have used single source lines exceeding 132 characters and the compiler
compiled the program successfully and the program also ran without any
errors. How does this work?

An extension, apparently.