Goodonyou Mairead, but remember that your experience is rather atypical.
Most MFA candidates come to the program immediately or very soon after
unbroken schooling from 5 years old on.

I'd like to believe that you're right about stipends for MFAs, but it's not
my understanding. It would be a little frightening, in fact, if true--23
year olds with no previous grdauate educatuion or experience outside of
schools are hardly my idea of qualified teachers.

I picked Clare as a worst-case scenario example--poor and schizophrenic is
probably more difficult even than motherhood.

The programs make their claim by their very existence, and it seems to be
what the MFAs I know expected upon entry. Otherwise it's a singularly
inefficient spiritual journey.

Mark