neil,
I think the problem is you are using the wrong role_id value.  It should be the ROLE Number not the Role name.  An example of a txt file is given below.

EXTERNAL_PERSON_KEY|ROLE _ID
alle-dl7|ROLE_19
ticc-dl8|ROLE_20

The first is to assign a role of Education_Staff, the second is to assign a role of Business_staff.

The above worked with the following command:
snapshot_override.cmd "-Ddata.source.key=secroles"
-V blkbrd2.paisley.ac.uk
-f INSTITUTION_ROLE_MEM_SNPSHT
-t F:\blackboard\apps\snapshot\data\secroles_test1.txt
-C F:\blackboard\apps\snapshot\data\snapshot.properties

I see no rason why it should not work with a MANUAL update.

best,
Arthur Loughran
University of Paisley.
PS Not sure if your use of lower case in the header has anything to do with it.

>>> [log in to unmask] 07/10/2005 4:51:08 pm >>>
Has anyone cracked assigning institutional roles through the snapshot? I am
tearing my hair out trying to understand why it won't work. I use the snapshot
for users and courses all the time with no problem but this one has me beaten.
If anyone has any ideas the data file (roles.txt) I am using looks like this:

external_person_key|Role_id
0438193|PDP-Student
0425843|PDP-Student

and the snapshot syntax looks like this:

../snapshot_override.sh -D"data.source.key=INST_ROLES.TXT" -V bbserver.cf.ac.uk
-f INSTITUTION_ROLE_MEM_MANUAL -t
/blackboard/blackboard/apps/snapshot/data/manual/roles.txt -C
/blackboard/blackboard/apps/snapshot/data/snapshot.properties

HELP !!

Neil

Neil Penry
Learning and Teaching Manager
Information Services
Cardiff University
PO Box 340
Cardiff
CF10 3BB
029 20875127 (X75127)

Legal disclaimer

The information transmitted is the property of the University of Paisley and is intended only for the person or entity
to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material.  Statements and opinions expressed in this
e-mail may not represent those of the company.  Any review, retransmission, dissemination and other use of, or taking
of any action in reliance upon, this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited.
If you received this in error, please contact the sender immediately and delete the material from any computer.