Richard,

    Ask JISC Legal http://www.jisclegal.ac.uk/.

Regards,

Bruce

From: Blackboard/Courseinfo userslist [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Richard Hall
Sent: 08 April 2005 17:00
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: discussion boards

We have a had an issue raised here about the liability of the institution where a defamatory comment is posted on a discussion board/collaboration session. So whilst the tutor can remove the post it has still been "published". The key issue is are we still liable in law?

Our take has been that:

1.      our student reg's cover the appropriate use of IT facilities and student behaviour on campus (concrete or virtual) - these are made clear at registration and induction;

2.      module leaders have the ability to set standards for appropriate behaviour based upon an agreed set of guidelines here, and they are asked to reinforce this at induction and throughout the duration of the module/programme;

3.      module leaders have the ability to report inappropriate behaviour to the faculty Head of Studies acting as provost; and

4.      module tutors have the ability to remove postings and block posters.

So where a posting has been removed and a report made to the HoS within a clear process, are we still up-the-creek? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Have a good weekend.

Best wishes,

Richard.

Dr Richard Hall, ILTM,