-----Original Message-----
From: Engineers and biologists mechanical design list
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Julian Vincent
Sent: Tuesday, May 31, 2005 3:16 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Mechanisms in Failure Prevention of Bio-Materials and
Bio-Structures

Their website is rubbish and keeps referring me to M of Composite M and
S (1998!!!).

Have you got a URL please, John?

Thanks
Julian

John Summerscales wrote:

> This newly published article may be of interest to members of the list
> 	(and a change from the on-going reprap discussion !)
>
> Mechanics of Advanced Materials and Structures
>    Publisher:   Taylor & Francis
>    Issue:   Volume 12, Number 3 / May-June 2005
>    Pages:   229 - 237
>    DOI:   10.1080/15376490590928598
>
> Mechanisms in Failure Prevention of Bio-Materials and Bio-Structures
>
> Jinghong Fan A1, A2, Bin Chen A2, Zhihui Gao A2, Chunting Xiang A2
> 	A1 Division of Mechanical Engineering, Alfred University,
> Alfred, New York, USA
> 	A2 Research Center on Material Mechanics, ChongQing University,
> P.R. China
>
> Abstract: Nature is replete with examples of layered-structure
materials
> that are evolved through billions of years to provide high
performance.
> Insect elytra (a portion of the exoskeleton) have evoked worldwide
> research attention and are believed to serve as fuselages and wings of
> natural aircraft. This work focuses on the relationship between
> structure, mechanical behavior, and failure mechanisms of the elytra.
We
> report a failure-mode-optimization (FMO) mechanism that can explain
> elytra's mechanical behaviors. We show initial evidence that this
> mechanism makes bio-structures of low-strength materials strong and
> ductile that can effectively resist shear forces and crack growth. A
> bio-inspired design of a joint by using the FMO mechanism has been
> proved by experiments to have a potential to increase the interface
> shear strength as high as about 2.5 times. The FMO mechanism, which is
> based on the new concept of property-structure synergetic coupling
> proposed in this work, offer some thoughts to deal with the
notoriously
> difficult problem of interface strength and to reduce catastrophic
> failure events.
>
> Regards,
> ======================================
> Dr John Summerscales
> Reader in Composites Engineering
> ======================================
> Advanced Composites Manufacturing Centre
> School of Engineering
> University of Plymouth
> Plymouth,  Devon UK,  PL4 8AA.
>        Telephone: 01752 23 2650
> WebSite:   http://www.plymouth.ac.uk/staff/jsummerscales

Julian FV Vincent                             [log in to unmask]
Professor of Biomimetics                        office 01225 386596
Centre for Biomimetics & Natural Technologies   mobile 07941 933901
Dept of Mechanical Engineering                  fax    01225 386928
The University
BATH  BA2  7AY

http://www.bath.ac.uk/Departments/Eng/biomimetics/

I hate quotations.  Tell me what you know.  (Ralph Waldo Emerson)