Hi there David
I think the problem is a very important one indeed. In the past most of these switches - with 3.5mm jacks - have been used with non- critical devices. Also cost has played a part I am sure so the cheapest components are used (3.5mm jack) which also allow for home servicing. When it comes to driving with powered chair things are different. Personally I do not believe a 3.5mm jack plug is safe enough to be used to drive a chair. Also in the past some switch controllers for powered mobility would only come with their own set of switches as providing a socket meant the manufacturer had no idea of the sort of rubbish that could be plugged in. Come to think of it I remember a well known ECU manufacturer who also provided their own switches with their own type of plug so that they knew the whole system.
I would very much welcome a standard for switches with perhaps grades for use. I would also like to include the connector type in this. If I ruled the world I would do away with 3.5mm jack (except perhaps for 'very light use with toys etc') and have switches terminating in something like a Lemo micro coaxial connector via coax cable (would help emc issues as well) - now that would be quality. Ok so it would cost loads (£100 a switch instead of £30) - but these switches are absolutely critical to users and are being connected to £000's worth of kit.
So in Novitatech going to set up a standard? - please do.
Colin Clayton