Hello Neil.

I have recently repaired a battery powered remote control for a stair lift. (in the end it only needed a simple mechanical repair).

It would not be difficult to interface some hard wired but isolated switching into it. They had used double switches so they are obviously concerned about the potential for switch failure causing unwanted travel of the lift, and this would need to be considered in the design of the interface.

Hope this helps.

Geoff