Hi Sean.

The type and location of the stop switch is dependent on the situation.

It is always a good idea to have an ON/OFF switch on a switched based
system, this can often be part of the switch array for the driver - quite
often with a MODE switch if it is one of the modern control systems. These
systems have additional sockets for remote MODE and ON/OFF buttons. The CDL
G80a for example, or the P+G Omni Plus. Most of our mobility switch users do
have access to an ON/OFF switch.

It is sometimes the case with children or adults with a more severe
physical/learning disability etc. that their level of ability is
insufficient to be able to access an ON/OFF switch as well as their mobility
switches. This can be risk assessed, but generally they also have continuous
carer attendance when they are practicing their driving, or in a protected
environment such as a school or care home etc.

I consider the QED Dreadnoughts some of the most reliable std switches for
mobility purposes on the market. They have a slightly higher operating and
release pressure, and are fully water resistant at the switch body end. They
also pass the 1.5 million operation test that was in BSEN 12184. The more
you spend on a discrete switch element the better it's reliability. Go for
an IP67 version to keep out the grott and dust etc. and don't over rate the
electrical capability of the switch element.

If you are on about emergency stop switches attached to the back of a chair,
go for a proper electrical installation emergency stop button with a
friction lock, one you have to pull to reset for example.

We manufacture a simple latching switch in a housing on an extendable
"curly" cable for use during EPIOC practicals and the like. We have applied
the CE marking and can sell them to anyone interested. Price and information
on application.

Hope this is of use.

          Geoff

G.J.Harbach   I.Eng  MIED  IIPEM
Clinical Technologist
Special Controls Service Manager
Posture & Mobility Services
West Midlands Rehabilitation Centre
91 Oak Tree Lane, Selly Oak
Birmingham, B29 6JA
Tel 0121  627 8941

This e-mail contains proprietary information some or all of which may be
legally privileged. It is for the intended recipient only. If an addressing
or transmission error has misdirected this e-mail, please notify the author
by replying to this e-mail. If you are not the intended recipient you must
not use, disclose, distribute, copy, print, or rely on this e-mail.