Hi

has anyone got experience of introducing self-service issue and check-in machines, particularly with regard to large art books,
videos and DVDs?  If so:-

Have you introduced it for DVD and video - and if so has it worked out OK, and how did you reconcile security of materials with
self issue? Have you lost more stock (e.g. by not keeping DVDs in security boxes)?

Were there any problems with barcodes being in the 'wrong' place in the books due to book sizes?  Did you have to re-barcode much,
or hardly anything?

We already have self issue at other campuses, but the books are more standard size there, and they only have small media
collections whilst DVD and video loans now account for nearly half our issues.  Our management system is Innopac Millennium, with
3Ms SelfCheck machines.

Any advice, success stories, tales of woe (surely not ...) or recommendations of other systems will be gratefully received!

Many thanks

Richard

Richard Swift
Campus Learning Centre Manager
Psalter Lane Learning Centre
Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield
S11 8UZ

For up to date information on forthcoming workshops and free visits
please see the online ARLIS/UK & Ireland Events Calendar 2005 at
http://www.arlis.org.uk/even/