From: Stephanie Silvester [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 18 February 2005 08:58
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Use of scanners and digital cameras

Jayne
From the copyright point of view it's not a real problem as long as you
make it clear to the students the copies must only be done for their own
private study and they mustn't pass them on to third parties.  In other
words the copying is done under "fair dealing". Notices should give
guidance eg. only make copies for research and private study for a
non-commercial purposes, single copies only etc. I attend  LACA (Libraries
Archives & Copyright Group) meetings and most copyright experts on the
group support this view.
I know there are other questions regarding disturbing other readers,
damaging the books, etc., and this is down to individual institutions.
Students here at Coventry sometimes use their own digital cameras but it's
always been OK - not really a disturbance to other users.
Hope this helps a bit
Steph Silvester
VRC, Chair
Arlis

 Apologies if this issue has been discussed previously.