Please excuse cross-postings.

As many ARCAN-L subscribers are aware, Archivaria: The Journal of the Association of Canadian Archivists, plans to digitize and make available on-line electronic versions of its back issues in partnership with Simon Fraser University Library.

We ask Archivaria's authors who are willing to see their work(s) made available in digital form to email the ACA office (at [log in to unmask]) granting their permission.  This lessens considerably the administrative burden faced by the ACA in locating and approaching authors individually.

The goal is to share widely the range of archival thinking found in the pages of Archivaria.  To achieve this goal, Archivaria requires support from its authors, who hold exclusive copyright for their contributions in the journal up to issue 58.

The current objective is that the contents of issues 1-48 will be freely available through the Association's Web site (www.archivists.ca) within the next six months.  But because we intend to continue to add to the number of digitized back issues, we request permission from ALL authors up to issue 58.

Emails to the office should indicate clearly your name, the title of the work(s) in question, and the issue(s) in which they were published.  They should also state clearly that you grant permission to Archivaria and the ACA to reproduce their works in a digitized version of Archivaria.

An example of such an email follows.

"I, Robert McIntosh, give permission to Archivaria and the ACA to include my works as listed below in digitized reproductions of the Archivaria issues in which these works first appeared.  These works are:

a.  "The Great War, Archives, and Modern Memory", no. 46 (Fall 1998).

b.  Review of Ronald Rudin, Founding Fathers: The Celebration of Champlain and Laval in the Streets of Quebec, 1878-1908, no. 56 (Fall 2003).

c.  Review of Michael J. Childs, Labour's Apprentices: Working-Class Lads in Late Victorian and Edwardian England (Montreal and Kingston, 1992), no. 36 (Fall 1993).

We appreciate very much your cooperation in this project.  Please take a few minutes in the next few weeks to send your email.

Sincerely,

Duncan Grant

Executive Director

Association of Canadian Archivists