I very much doubt whether any coin die was made of cast iron. Ancient
and medieval coin dies have been made both of iron/steel and bronze.
Unfortunately their rarity means and/or numsimatic importance means that
they are rarely accessible for detailed technical study.

It is generally believed that the designs on dies were engraved; this is
certainly the case with medieval wrought iron/steel dies. I have
examined long cross coins of Cnut (early 11th century) where the
engraver's setting our marks as well as the actual design have
transferred to the coin.

Occasionally the metallurgy of dies could be quite sophisticated; a
counterfeiter's coin die from Mughal India I have analysed proved to be
a martensitic high tin bronze. Even so it's hardness was nowhere near
that of modern alloy steel coin dies with Vickers hardnesses around 900
- an overaged die steel was the first time I ever encountered a Vickers
hardness over 1000.

Yours,
Peter Northover

--
Dr Peter Northover,
Materials Science-Based Archaeology Group,