*        http://www.anthropologymatters.com            *
* A postgraduate project comprising online journal,    *
* online discussions, teaching and research resources  *
* and international contacts directory.                *

On 2 June (yesterday), the European Science Foundation (ESF) launched a call for outline proposals for research projects on "Consciousness in a Natural and Cultural Context (CNCC)". I would be grateful if you could assist us in  promoting this call to researchers in your school. I believe it will be highly relevant for academics in CCNI, but probably also for researchers in social anthropology.

With the above call, the ESF seeks to fund interdisciplinary and multinational research projects which approach the phenomon of consciousness from different angles. It aims to bring together psychologists, neuroscientists and biomedical researchers on the one hand and anthropologists, historians, researchers in literary, religious and cultural studies on the other to achieve a significant contribution to the understing of consciousness.

Each proposal must involve at least three partners from three different countries. Support will be available for a project of three to four years, starting in autumn 2006. Closing date for outline proposals is 15 September. Successful applicants will be invited on 1 November 2005 to submit full proposals.

Each proposed project should help to address questions such as the following:
1. Conceptual and methodological challenges
How do empirical and conceptual elements interact in the study of consciousness?
If one of the truly characteristic features is its subjective nature, how can it be opened to intersubjective validation?...

2. Metaphysics and phenomenology of consciousness
What are the most general features of consciousness and how do we describe them? To what extent is the selection of such features culturally invariant? ...

3. The sense of self
What do words like "I" or "you" refer to? What is a self? Is it a social and cultural construct? ...

4. Consciousness and emotion
What are the characteristic marks of moods and emotional experience? To what extent do they have an evolutionary explanation? ...

5. Norms and abnormalities in the study of the consciousness
How can the study of pathological and other non-standard cases of conscious experience enrich our insight into the nature and functioning of the consciousness? ...

6. The phylogenetic, ontogenetic and historical development of consciousness
Does consciousness have an evolutionaly relevance? What are the evolutionary percursors to human consciousness? ...

7. Consciousness and language
What is the relation between consciousness and language? Does the use of language essentially involve consciousness?...

Should you or colleagues have any questions in relation to the call, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Best regards
Claudia

Dr Claudia Whittle
Research Development Manager