ROYAL STATISTICAL SOCIETY MEDICAL SECTION

MEETING ON IMAGING

Tuesday 26 April 2005 4.00 - 6.00 (tea at 3.30).

To be held at the RSS, 12 Errol Street, London EC1Y 8LX
(directions http://www.rss.org.uk/about/direction.html)
Pre-registration is recommended - to register email: [log in to unmask] or tel. 020 7638 8998

"How to segment 3-D images and analyse 1-D electrophoresis gels"

Chris Glasbey, Biomathematics and Statistics Scotland

Abstract
Dynamic Programming (DP) is a fast, elegant method for finding the
global solution to some optimisation problems, including segmenting 2-D
images and aligning pairs of tracks in electrophoresis gels.  Extensions
will be considered, where DP is not directly applicable, illustrated by
3-D X-ray computed tomography and pulsed field gel electrophoresis.

"Surface shape analysis from MR images, with an application to measuring
cortical surface asymmetry in schizophrenia"

Ian Dryden, University of Nottingham

Abstract
We introduce some methods for the statistical shape analysis of surface
data, with an application in neuroscience. An initial key step in
comparing the brains is to co-register the MR scans, and we consider
maximum likelihood and Bayesian procedures. Size and shape analysis of
the registered cortical surfaces is then carried out, focussing on
differences in torque and on overall size and shape.

Janet Peacock
School of Health Sciences and Social Care
Brunel University
Borough Road, Isleworth, TW7 5DU.
Tel: 020 8891 0121