We've just discovered that a couple of our graduates are selling essays and
their final year dissertations on eBay. I've just had a quick look and (of
course) we're not alone - hello Leeds and Oxford. This revelation has
sparked some debate across my Faculty and I wonder whether anyone else has
encountered this situation and, if you have, what your Institution's
reaction has been.

We assume that because the sellers are ex students their work is theirs to
do with as they wish. However they could, I suppose, be regarded as
inciting or encouraging plagiarism and of bringing the University into
disrepute. One of our harder line academics suggests that they should be
stripped of their degrees!!

Thoughts would be welcome. For your info here's an example URL for the
advert from one of our Business graduates:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?
ViewItem&category=1106&item=4522427435&rd=1

Regards
Rob

Rob Sherville
Faculty Registrar