The related problem; "What should the laboratory do with clinically urgent reportrs?" is discussed in the archives: http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A2=ind00&L=acb-clin-chem-gen&P=R49477&I=-1 The College has a group looking at the issue. But I don't think the issue you have raised, about patients initiating the conversation OOH, has ever been studied. I'll ask our local GP groups. Jonathan On 7 Feb 2005, at 11:55, David Robertshaw wrote: TahomaI have just had an interesting conversation with a director of a GP deputising service. She claims that more and more patients are ringing the deputising service to get laboratory results. This is because patients have been asked by the surgery to ring and get "urgent" results but then find the surgery closed. The question was could/should the Deputising service ring the Lab, get the answers and then ring the patient?? Not a good idea in my mind but on the other hand who do we ring urgent/abnormal results to when the surgeries are closed?? Perhaps we should join the pharmacists, talk directly to the patients, offer advice and get paid for it!!! (FILmS  2005).