From: Clinical biochemistry discussion list [mailto:[log in to unmask]]OOn Behalf Of Tetlow Lesley (RW3) CM&MC Manchester
Sent: 20 October 2005 16:40
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: FW: Bedside glucose testing

Dear Colleagues

Please see attached an e-mail I received from the Clinical Director of our ICU.  Our Point of Care coordinator has also been approached by the A and E department who have expressed similar concerns.

Obviously we are aware of the MHRA safety notice and instrument manufacturers’ guidelines but what is the extent of the problem?  Could a capillary glucose in the hypoglycaemic range actually equate to a hyperglycaemic venous glucose?  If not then the risk of withholding glucose in a hypoglycaemic patient is far greater than any risk of administering it to a euglycaemic patient.  I am assured that there are National Intensive Care/Resus guidelines which indicate that a POC glucose should be measured in this clinical situation.

We have only just (believe it or not!) moved from manual BM Stix to Abbott PCx meters so this problem has only just come under my jurisdiction.  But surely other labs must have already faced it?  What do your ICUs do?  Are there any good papers or reviews you can point me to?

Thanks

Lesley