From: Sharpe, Peter Dr [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 04 January 2005 11:53
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: REFLEX TEST FOR TROPONIN T

Dear All,

I'm just wondering what other labs do in the case of raised CK-MB levels in patients where there are no clinical details or obvious history of myocardial ischaemia. We automatically measure Troponin T, and in the majority of cases find it to be < 0.01 ug/l. However, we have had 2 recent raised Troponin T levels which have initiated further investigations including admission to hospital. Both patients had inflammatory muscle disorders which can lead to raised Troponin T concentrations. None of the patients had evidence of ischaemic heart disease and both had normal Echos.

My question is "Should we reflexly measure Troponin T in these cases"? What do other labs do?

Happy New Year

Peter
------ACB discussion List Information-------- This is an open discussion list for the academic and clinical community working in clinical biochemistry. Please note, archived messages are public and can be viewed via the internet. Views expressed are those of the individual and they are responsible for all message content.