Urinary magnesium remains a useful guide to the magnesium status of the patient. Magnesium depleted patients, provided they are not on diuretics or other nephro-toxic agents, will excrete almost no magnesium in their urine. Magnesium depletion remains a significant clinical risk issue for vulnerable groups of patients. I would recommend that if it is not being requested, even in nutritionally compromised patients, that an educational program be introduced to emphasise the essential role of magnesium in the maintenance of electrolyte balance (perhaps you would save time and money by reducing the amount of unnecessary potassium alerts!)

Regards,

Michael Ryan

"Wills Philip \(Queen Elizabeth Hospital NHS Trust\)" <[log in to unmask]>
Sent by: "Clinical biochemistry discussion list" <[log in to unmask]>

29/07/2005 09:32
Please respond to
"Wills Philip \(Queen Elizabeth Hospital NHS Trust\)" <[log in to unmask]>

cc
Subject
Urine Magnesiums[Scanned]

To say the least, our urine magnesium method is very non-
robust and difficult to control well.As we never receive any
requests,even in nutritionally supported patients,I wonder
whether there is any value in retaining this assay.Does
anyone else NOT offer urine magnesiums or have any strong
views on the subject?
Phil Wills QEH Woolwich.

This e-mail is confidential and privileged. If you are not the intended
recipient please accept our apologies; please do not disclose, copy or
distribute information in this e-mail or take any action in reliance on its
contents: to do so is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. Please
inform us that this message has gone astray before deleting it. Thank you
for your co-operation.

ACB Web Site
http://www.acb.org.uk
List Archives
List Instructions (How to leave etc.)
http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/

------ACB discussion List Information-------- This is an open discussion list for the academic and clinical community working in clinical biochemistry. Please note, archived messages are public and can be viewed via the internet. Views expressed are those of the individual and they are responsible for all message content.