I have witnessed exactly what you describe.  It is frustrating for the
clerk behind the counter as well as the customer.  One encounters the same
issues in ones daily work dealing with patients who are confused, unable to
get simple answers to questions such as "why hasn't my doctor got my
results"?  The "new customers only" cowboys should remember that we are
public servants.
David Burgess