Jonathan

I agree that the best option is a clinican buy-in to interactive requesting, and this highlights for me the fact that laboratory requesting should be an EPR function rather than a laboratory computer function, so that it is fully interactive with the knowledge base of the EPR, but also must be compliant with the laboratory professionals' view.

However until we reach Nirvanah, it seems reasonable to have some scientifically based repeat order times in order to protect the patient from unnecessary repeat testing (which might also be considered 'assault') and our budgets.  These days we all keep our samples for a limited period, and I certainly can be persuaded by clinical colleagues to over-rule the rules, but I have had no significant complaint in the several years of operation. I understand that one London teaching hospital (second hand evidence so no names in public) saw a dramatic decrease in repeat requesting on introduction of interactive ward-based requesting.

I have considerable experience with 'repeat order times' which are available within iSoft APEX if it is of use.

We currently use these extensively, but I don't collect detailed data, we just use it on the understanding that we are cutting down !

Currently, with no link at all to PAS data and no ward-based requesting, our practice is that the request entry staff decline 'flagged' requests which are put aside for senior assessment.  Refused tests are always added to the report with an 'educative' comment, for example "Normal red cell half life is 60 days, hence repeat HbA1c within 3 months is not helpful." I am prepared to share with interested parties the time factors which we have built in for each investigation.

with best wishes
Richard

Richard Mainwaring-Burton
Consultant Biochemist