From: Bertholf, Roger [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 26 April 2005 14:36
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Blood gases query

Unless the Olympus CO2 method is unique, and I don't think it is, it does not measure the bicarbonate concentration. It measures all forms of CO2: bicarbonate, dissolved CO2 gas, carbonic acid, and carbonate. Methods that measure bicarbonate consume the anion and therefore shift the equilibrium in that direction. Methods that measure CO2 do likewise, in the opposite direction. The result is that all forms of CO2 are measured. Therefore, a measured CO2 on a chemistry analyzer will always exceed the calculated bicarbonate, assuming pH and temp are correct in the calculation. The difference is small, since dissolved CO2 accounts for only about 2 mmol/L of total CO2. But there *is* a difference between total CO2 measured on a chemistry analyzer and the bicarbonate concentration calculated by the Henderson-Hasselbalch equation.

Roger Bertholf
University of Florida Health Science Center/Jacksonville