As an educator in an institution with the goal of placing designers in the industry I have long worried about some of the Pygmalion-esque aspects of our endeavor to, within a short time, give students all of the skills needed to be professional.

In many fields questions about hegemony, power, privilege, and the like serve to slow the process of creating professionals.  In design education, if we place a high value on such discourse it is easy to see how industry would look somewhat skeptically on those coming out of colleges and universities.  On the other hand, a purely technical program may provide doers, but it may not produce thinkers.

I agree with previous comments that the contexts of statements that denigrate education are important.  I've heard some professionals say, "Yes, students can sort of think when they get out of school, but they are completely unprepared to deal with all of the things that go along with workflow.  They don't know how to process or perform a set of tasks."

In terms of education, I don't know if we can do a lot about some issues such as these.  For graphic designers we aren't going to say, "Here are 500 images.  Prepare them for print by 5:00."  Usually that is what internships are all about.  In fact, it is my belief that the person who spoke to me wanted education to prepare students for the internship so he could get free labor without doing any training.

I think it is always a question - is it better to separate tasks or to integrate tasks within a simulated work environment?  Most schools are not prepared for the latter, and most accrediting bodies aren't prepared to evaluate and certify such a radical break from the traditional classroom.

-Alan Murdock

Department Director

Design Management

The Art Institute of Portland