Re: Check List

Hi Geoff,

We have produced a list under each diversity domain laying out the staff
expectations relating to embracing diversity. These are part of our
Diversity Learning Zone intranet site. The lists are split by roles and
include expectations of: all staff; staff recruiters; managers and leaders;
appraisers and staff development reviewers.

Here's a flavour: am unable to provide a link to our intranet so good old
cut and paste will have to do for now! Anyone interested in obtaining more
or just more info please contact me off network at: [log in to unmask]

 What's Expected of Me... AGE DIVERSITY

As an individual?

*         Do not make assumptions about a colleague's abilities and
motivations based on her/his age.

*         Be prepared to challenge assumptions made by others regarding age.

*         Do consider different outlooks on life that come with different
ages. Listen to, and empathise with, others, irrespective of their age.

*         Treat everyone with dignity and respect - to violate another's
dignity with regard to her/his age or to create an intimidating, hostile,
degrading, humiliating or offensive environment for a person on those
grounds is harassment.

*         Maintain a level of sensitivity and courtesy to others regarding
age, appropriate to the individual concerned.

*         Do not impose yourself and your views on others using age as
justification.

*         Respect the right of others to disagree with your points of view
and work to prevent differences from turning into conflict (differences are
a vital and healthy part of social interaction - conflict is unwelcome,
unpleasant and unproductive).

*         Do not assume that treating everyone the same way is the same as
treating everyone fairly.

*         Do not assume that equality of opportunity demands giving everyone
exactly the same thing.

*         Do recognise and minimise the effects of your own prejudices. We
all have them.

*         Do recognise stereotypes and attributions you make and treat
everyone as an individual, not as a 'member' of a particular age 'group'.

*         Act as a role model to others in the way you embrace age
diversity.

Vincent Cornelius

HR Training and Development Adviser

Portland Building 0.38