Hi,

I don't know if you're still looking for these, I was clearing out old
emails and noticed this post which I'd missed at the time. I immediately
thought of some.

One from Florence Nightingale, who perhaps you've already thought of.
Obviously she's a fantastic example of the importance of studying diseases,
having saved thousands of lives in the Crimea (and millions since, probably)
by understanding the importance of hygeine and scientifically approaching
the study of disease by championing statistics.

"So never lose an opportunity of urging a practical beginning, however
small, for it is wonderful how often in such matters the mustard-seed
germinates and roots itself."

"Were there none who were discontented with what they have, the world would
never reach anything better."

"To understand God's thoughts we must study statistics, for these are the
measure of His purpose"

"We … do not consider the human mind capable of receiving what, strictly
speaking, can be called proof. Evidence, which we have means to strengthen
for or against a proposition, is our proper means for attaining truth"

Writing about statistics to her friend Quetelet "this passionate study is
not at all based upon love of science, which I can hardly claim. I have seen
so much of the sufferings and the miseries of humanity, of . . . the
stupidity of our political system, of the dark blindness of those who guide
our body social that . . . frequently it comes to me like a flash of light
across my spirit that the only study worthy of the name is that whose
principles you have so clearly put forward."

And from Margaret Mead, who was a social scientist, but still, it's a good
quote and applicable to many things.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed people can change
the world. indeed, its the only thing that ever has"

Hope these help,

Best wishes,

Sophia Collins