From: Filippo A. Salustri
Sent: 9/08/2005 9:19 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Design

Jan,

This is interesting.  Okay, I can agree to set 'instinct' aside.  That
was probably not a good word to use to begin with.

You're saying that a design can exist as a result of something other
than designing?  Or that designing too can be unplanned/spontaneous?
I'm not sure which makes the most sense to me; I'll have to think about
that some more.

In any event, however, I would suggest that intent is still there,
whether or not the action was planned.  I believe this thread started
with messages about intention being essential in designing.  I'd like to
return to that and suggest that though the spring board diver may not
always plan his dive (I've seen these divers often 'rehearse' their
dives on the board - which seems to me a kind of planning, but that's
hairsplitting - I get your drift), the diver still has an intention to dive.

What do you think?
Cheers.
Fil

--
Prof. Filippo A. Salustri, Ph.D., P.Eng.
Department of Mechanical and Industrial Engineering