Todd:

Most likely it's a memory issue. Does SPM write out ResMS images? If not then it is failing at the
estimation of temporal non-sphericity. In any case you might want to put in a breakpoint using
debug at around line 745 of spm_spm and then step through the rest of the estimation to see where
the problem is. By doing this you could also save variables manually along the way. Sometimes
starting matlab without java will hepl with calculations that use a large amount of memory.
However, you cannot use the edit facility without java.

Darren