Dear list,

I have data from a PET experiment of 10 subjects, 5 conditions per
subject (some data missing). The images going into the analysis are
themselves parametric maps of blood flow (instead of the more common
scaled count rate images). I have reason to believe that the variances
of the parameterized blood flow maps are spatially inhomogeneous. That
is, areas of high residual variance (after parameterization) coincide
with those of high blood flow. I suppose a more extreme case of the
situation I describe would be that of, e.g., a dopamine receptor map.

My problem is that I am very uncertain of the exact method SPM2 uses to
estimate standard deviations for inference in the type of PET setup
described above. I want to make sure I am not pooling over brain tissue
(Worsley et al., 1992). I think I've grasped the approach taken in FMRI
to remove serial correlations (partly global hyperparameter estimation),
but PET remains elusive. In "Human Brain Function" (2nd Ed), Chapter 37,
p. 736, the authors write:

"In PET data there is substantial evidence against an assumption of
constant variance (homoscedasticity)..." ... "If homoscedasticity could
be assumed, variance estimates could legitimately be pooled accross all
voxels."

Since I (want to) assume heteroscedasticity, what approach should I take
when using SPM2?

Sincerely,

-Chris
--