Dear all,

I want to compare the (partially censored) survival times of two groups
using the logrank test. To my surprise, I get different asymptotic p values
using PROC LIFETEST from SAS or PROC TWOSAMPL from PROC StatXact. It seems
as if the scores used are different between the two procedures, as the rank
statistics slightly differ. Furthermore, LIFETEST obviously uses a
Chi-Squared approximation, while TWOSAMPL rather uses a normal
approximation. I wouldn't expect this to make much difference, though.

Did anybody come across this before and can offer any explanation about the
computational differences? Which scoring is to be preferred? I am willing to
use the exact version of the test only if the scores used are reasonable.

Of coures I'll post a summary of responses.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions,
Michael

Dr. Michael Meyners
Boehringer Ingelheim Pharma GmbH & Co. KG
Medical Data Services
Birkendorfer Strasse 65
88397 Biberach an der Riss
Germany