Dear Maria,

to create your customized template it's sufficient to include only the first
scan of every subject. Even if you have an adult population I would
recommend to create your own template, because not only the sample
influences your template, but also the MR scanner/sequence (e.g. differences
in contrast between tissues, nonuniformities, scanner/sequence specific
distortions ...).
However, to preprocess longitudinal data there are some more steps necessary
to perform a good realignment between the timepoints and - more important -
to estimate spatial normalization parameters only from the first scan, but
to apply these parameters to all subsequent scans. If you estimate
normalization parameters for each scan separately you might diminish
meaningful differences between the scans.

You can find a tool to preprocess longitudinal data at:
http://dbm.neuro.uni-jena.de/cg_vbm_longitudinal.m

Best regards,

Christian

PS: To analyze longitudinal data I recommend the PET models Multi-subjects
(or Multi-groups): conditions & covariates.

Christian Gaser, Ph.D.
Department of Psychiatry
Friedrich-Schiller-University of Jena
Philosophenweg 3, D-07743 Jena, Germany
Tel: ++49-3641-935805 Fax:   ++49-3641-935280
e-mail: [log in to unmask]
http://dbm.neuro.uni-jena.de