Dear SPMers,

I wonder if you can help soving a puzzle.

I have 6 fmri acquisition, two for conditions A versus rest, two for B
versus rest, two for C versus rest.
The order of the acquisitions is: B C A A C B
A = only hand movement
B = only speech production
C = hand mov + speech prod
I did only t-tests, not F-tests.
If as basis set for the SPM analysis I consider only the hrf I have the
following.
When I consider the contrast [0 0 1 1 0 0] I see a huge activation in the
motor cortex, while with [0 0 -1 -1 0 0] there is little or no
(de)activation
When I consider [1 0 0 0 0 1] or [0 1 0 0 1 0], I see little activation in
some parts of the brain, while with [-1 0 0 0 0 -1] or [0 -1 0 0 -1 0] I see
large (de)activation almost everywhere in the brain.

If as basis set for the SPM analysis I consider only the hrf+time
derivatives I have the following.
When I consider the contrast [0 0 1 1 0 0] I see much less activation in the
motor cortex, while with [0 0 -1 -1 0 0] there is maybe more (de)activation
When I consider [1 0 0 0 0 1] or [0 1 0 0 1 0], I see much more activation
in some parts of the brain, and with [-1 0 0 0 0 -1] or [0 -1 0 0 -1 0] I
see less (de)activation.

I am quite puzzled. Has anybody find something similar?
Is it more likely that there was a problem during the acquisition or the
analysis of the data, or that it is a real behaviour of the brain?

Many thanks,
     Laura

This email is confidential and intended solely for the person or entity to whom it is addressed.  If this email was not intended for you please notify the UCLH Mail Administrator at [log in to unmask]
This footnote confirms that the email and attachments contained no viruses when they left UCLH.