Wed Feb 23 12:23:24 WST 2005

Inspired by a couple of things I just read.
Previously unrelated, but now connected by the threads of my mind.
My poems are getting heavier by the minute!

        Like each other
        ---------------

        "We like each other."

        Theorise about complementary personalities
        shared missions
        commitment
        sex -
        but those words are where it's at.

        This father and mother
        who have been partners for so many years
        like each other.

        Yet flowers, love songs, dedications.
        "A love called maintenance"?

        TV-documentary theory: that feeling - you know the one - lasts
        three to seven years. If that's so, then to keep it going,
        you have to fall in love with each other again.
        But maybe not. Maybe you just have to
        like each other.

        But what to do with the stale socks, farts and forgotten dates?
        The tired eyes, tampon boxes and tantrums?
        And what to do with the desire to be lost,
        to disconnect,
        to fade into a grove of trees somewhere
        or into Greenwich Village or
        Temple Bar or
        Fremantle?

        They must have let each other go. Somehow.
        How long did they have to stay away
        before they wanted to go back?

Janet Jackson
www.arach.net.au/~huxtable/janet