First, my [untutored] thoughts on translation:  if a poem is beautiful
in the original language, it makes sense to me that the translator should
aim for a similar beauty in the new language.  With the hope that the reader
will be similarly moved.

Now to love...

Eros, agape, philein. Different concepts, or different colours of the one?

When writing poetry it has always bothered me that English really
has only the one noun, "love", that expresses anything close to
the depth of emotion people feel.  (If anyone knows of another,
do tell me!)
OK, we have desire, ardour, lust, caring, passion, affection,
devotion, reverence, heartache, and lots of other words that poetry
is frequently better without - but when you really need to
lay it on the line, there's only one choice.

It might be nice to be have a specific noun for the
love between sexual partners, without having to resort to Greek (or
perhaps French?) borrowings which may come across as pretentious.

Or to have nouns expressing different degrees of love, different
strengths of bond.  Or for the love of cars. Chocolate. Ski-ing.
Music. Or for the love that you do things for instead of for money.

On the other hand, English having the one word for all of it
means you can be wonderfully ambiguous and have all sorts
of layers of meaning that you might not even be aware of.
Other people will explain them to you - either that, or they'll
think you're writing about sex yet again.

Hope this makes sense - it's kind of late.
No love poems tonight.

Janet
Janet Jackson
www.arach.net.au/~huxtable/janet