I have two particular questions --

> > 1) What research topics are you pursuing ?
> >
> > 2) What kinds of methods are you using ?

Like a few others, my research is also not based in any design-related disciplines.

Instead, I am researching a phd in the Department of Cultural Studies.  I have just commenced my degree, and everything is still in the developing stages. I am still trying to construct a framework for my analysis and am still deciding on my methdologies. I also have to admit that i do not possess much background knowledge in design, and I am still in the early stages of compiling research on design.

Briefly, my research is a Cultural Studies-based investigation on the impact of the globalization of the creative industries concept and the ensuing burgeoning significance of design in the Asia-Pacific region. My case-studies are on Singapore, Melbourne (Australia) and Seoul (South Korea). I argue that the inception of the creative industries concept and its global dissemination have led to  an intense capitalisation on design. I am trying to "use"/study design to re-think cultural issues such as the "circuit of culture" (Paul du Gay), identity, cultural policy and cultural citizenship. I am basically looking at the circulation and disjunctive flows of design within the Asia-Pacific region, in a local and regional context. For example, section one of my thesis will look at the local design industry and culture in each of my chosen cities. Meanwhile section two will examine collaborations, exchanges and networkings between designers from different cities. And I will stress a!
 gain, Everything is still in the developing stages.

In regards to methodology, my thesis will mostly be framed within theory from various disciplines, which will be complemented by policy analysis and ethnographic research. I hope to conduct surveys and interviews in each of my chosen cities. And if possible, i would love to have the opportunity to conduct a close personal study on a designer.

As I have stressed, my research is still not completely coherent, and is not based in the disciplines of design.

Thanks for reading,
Sufern

--
Sufern Hoe