I agree that GDP per person would best be avoided for such calculations,
particularly since measures more reflective of people, communities, and
livelihoods exist.  Examples are the Human Development Index
http://hdr.undp.org and progress (or lack thereof) towards the Millennium
Development Goals http://www.un.org/millenniumgoals  Naturally, all indices
have limitations, but true poverty, lack of access to resources, and absence
of choices to reduce vulnerability are poorly indicated by a number which
describes only one small part of the economy.  It is indeed a fascinating
exercise to examine countries' military budgets compared to their
environment, development, sustainability, and disaster risk reduction
budgets.

Amongst other excellent publications related to this topic, see UNDP's
"Reducing Disaster Risk:  A Challenge for Development" (edited by Mark
Pelling et al.) http://www.undp.org/bcpr/disred/rdr.htm  For indicating the
cost-effectiveness of disaster risk reduction measures on purely monetary
terms, see the compilation of case studies at
http://www.ilankelman.org/miscellany/MitigationSaves.rtf

In addition to the chapter mentioned by Ben Wisner
http://online.northumbria.ac.uk/geography_research/radix/resources/school-seismic-safety-august2004.doc
other useful sources on the necessity of and possibilities for (and at times
cost-effectiveness of) building seismic safety are listed below.  Let us
continue countering the suggestion that short-term macroeconomic indicators
should be the criteria which dictate our decisions.  Initial investment is
required at times, but (a) if we can afford to buy guns and missiles (which
are sometimes necessary) then we can afford to save children's lives (which
is always necessary) and (b) immense financial and non-financial rewards
will be reaped through appropriate disaster risk reduction measures.

After all, good capitalists will save money by stopping disasters
http://online.northumbria.ac.uk/geography_research/radix/resources/kelman-good-capitalists-stop-disasters.doc

Ilan

OECD Recommendation Concerning Guidelines on Earthquake Safety in Schools
http://www.oecd.org/document/41/0,2340,en_2649_34527_8002921_1_1_1_1,00.html

ADPC Creating Earthquake Preparedness in Schools
http://www.adpc.net/AUDMP/library/safer_cities/10.pdf along with similarly
useful documents at http://www.adpc.net/audmp/library.html

OAS' Eduplan http://www.proventionconsortium.org/goodpractices/eduplan.htm
and
http://www.crid.or.cr/crid/CD_EIRD_Informa/esp/revista/No1_2001/pagina10.htm

The Spanish version of Safe Hospitals: A Collective Responsibility
http://www.paho.org/spanish/dd/ped/SafeHospitals.htm

"Housing construction in earthquake-prone places: Perspectives, priorities
and projections for development" by James Lewis in the "Australian Journal
of Emergency Management"
http://www.ema.gov.au/agd/EMA/rwpattach.nsf/viewasattachmentpersonal/(7F5D0EE0AF16918EF9B38CEAD6098342)~AJEM+4+HOUSING+CONSTRUCTION.pdf/$file/AJEM+4+HOUSING+CONSTRUCTION.pdf
(URL might break into more than one line).

A discussion by Ben Wisner and James Lewis in the "UN Chronicle"
http://www.un.org/Pubs/chronicle/2003/issue3/0303p49.asp on building
collapse in earthquakes.

Rajib Shaw's article on "Living with Earthquakes: School Earthquake Safety
Program"
http://www.hyogo.uncrd.or.jp/publication/proceedings/2002workshop/2002Kobe/SCHOOL/A_ARYA/PAPER.PDF

British Columbia's "School Earthquake Safety Guidebook"
http://www.bced.gov.bc.ca/capitalplanning/schoolearthquakesafetyguidebook.pdf
and see Tracy Monk's lobbying on this issue at http://www.fsssbc.org