"Sirk is often given as a counter-example: the films can seem slyly designed
to work against genre expectations. 'Subversive' is the usual word." - E.

Yes, this is the experience I got when I watched the films @ LACMA.
When Jane Wyman said, "So you want me to be a man" to Rock
the whole theatre erupted into big laughs - couldn't hear the next lines

completely different from the experience my Aunt had when she watched the
film in the time period of the original release; she was one of the weepers
that gave Sirk's movies the weeipe title back in the day.

*
*
Film-Philosophy Email Discussion Salon.
**