The Essex Record Office currently operates a branch in Southend, serving
both Southend itself and the neighbouring districts of Rochford and Castle
Point.  Southend-on-Sea Borough Council has now decided to change its
approach to the delivery of archive services in Southend.  As a result, the
Southend Branch Record Office will be replaced with an Access Point as from
31 March 2005.

The original records now held at Southend, and all future deposits of
records, will be held instead at the Essex Record Office in Wharf Road,
Chelmsford CM2 6YT.  Southend-on-Sea Borough Council will provide an Access
Point in Southend Central Library, where copy material currently held in
the branch office will continue to be available, and where more will be
added.

Records currently held at Southend will be moved to Chelmsford in the week
beginning 4 April, and during the transfer period will be unavailable for
research.  Users intending to visit around this time should consult the
staff at Chelmsford (tel. 01245 244640, email [log in to unmask]).

An A4 poster to this effect is available as a pdf file.  I emailed this
yesterday to our neighbouring archives, but if anyone else would like one
please let me know.

Chris Lambert
Essex Record Office
Wharf Road