Hi All,

A colleague posed the following question to me the other day and I was
having a hard time deriving an answer, here it is.

I have N balls and K slots, the balls are randomly posted to a slot (each
slot has an equiprobable chance of having a ball posted to it), I would like
to compute the probability that at least 1 of the slots contains no balls.

So for example trivially if I have 3 balls and 2 slots the probability is
simply 2/2^3 = 1/4. My state space is {111,112,121,122,222,221,212,211} and
the 2 states that satisfy my condition are {111,222} giving 2/8 = 1/4.

Any help would be most appreciated

Regards,

Richard