Hi There

I have 2 sets of count data A and B that I would like to compare. In both
cases there are K outcomes and N1, N2 observations respectively split
amongst the K outcomes. Now I am familiar with the Chi^2 tests for
homogeneity or goodness of fit. But they compare the whole distribution.

I am interested in pairwise comparisons of the K individual outcomes to see
which of the outcomes are "different" between A and B. If I assume my data
are multinomial the proportions for the individual K outcomes are Binomial.

Does it make sense to compare the proportions of individual outcomes between
A and B using the large sample Normal Approx to the Binomial dist.

For example consider outcome K_i for A and B we have counts a and b so then
we would have the following proportions p_A ~ Bin( N1, a/N1), p_B ~ Bin(N2,
b/N2). We could then test p_A - p_B using the Normal Approx?

And repeat as necessary for each of the K outcomes or is there a better way?

Best Regards,

Richard