Thank you Terry for explaining your role. It is good to know that many
Approved Inspectors do encourage designers to take access seriously and at
an early stage.

The poser is this, if a local design guidance goes beyond part M who will
pick this up? If as Terry says, it would be "inappropriate, unprofessional
and unlawful" then Approved Inspectors will not. Planners usually don't look
beyond a buildings exterior and the designers are usually unaware that a
local guidance exists? Unless the local authority has a good Access Officer
or Access Champion the building design will not have gained the full
approval of local disabled people.

John