Helen,

As managing agents they have no DDA responsibility to undertake physical
alterations unless they are service providers.  Until we have some clarity
on 'members of the public' and whether they are service providers (via the
service charge or otherwise), you can only advise on 'best reasonable
practice'.

If an employee within the building takes action against their employer and
joins the managing agent/landlord into the action there is a risk to your
client.

Best policy is for your client to speak to the tenants, as they are likely
to be paying for at least some of any works via the service charge.

Helen

>From: helen <[log in to unmask]>
>To: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: Fire egress - landlord responsibilities
>Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2005 15:52:54 +0100
>
>Hello all - I wondered if someone could clarify my thoughts - I need a
2nd
>opinion! I have client who manages a multi-tenanted office space and
they
>are responsible, obviously, for the common parts such a WCs, staircases
>lifts, staff kitchens and so forth. They naturally have no idea on a
>day-to-day basis what the staff needs are in each office ( and it is not
>their responsibility either), especially contract staff, and whilst
wanting
>to adopt a best practice approach have limitations on their budget.  My
>question is, how far are they obliged to install accessible emergency
egress
>facilities, i.e. visual fire alarms/vibrating pager systems, in the
common
>areas such a WCs for example ?  These buildings are not open to the
general
>public at all by the way. We have arranged for fire refuges already.
>Thanks in anticipation!
>
>Helen Allen
>
>HADA Ltd
>79 Boyton Road
>London
>N8 7AE
>t/f: +44 (0) 20 8340 1990
>Mobile: 07766 815 554
>www.hada.co.uk
>
>----------End of Message----------
>
>Run by SURFACE for more information on research, consultancy and the
distance taught MSc. in Accessibility and Inclusive Design programme visit:

http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/accessibuilt.html