From: Starlink development [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of
Norman Gray
Sent: 01 December 2004 18:39
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Nightly Build - getting there

Steve,

On 2004 Dec 1 , at 18.20, Rankin, SE (Stephen) wrote:

> Then I suppose there is also extracting the information on the file
> permissions from build system so that they are set correctly at install
> time.

The most robust way to do that would be to build and install the
component locally (or components, if it ends up that there are multiple
components in a package), then work through the <files> element in the
manifest file(s) generating the .list file from the file path and the
observed mode, owner, group and type (f/d/l) of that installed file.

Though it's not actually written down anywhere, I think that only files
and links are listed in the <files> element, and not directories.
However this is probably not worth relying on.  And not necessary
either, since the f/d/l at the beginning of the .list line could be
discovered from the installed file.

Since the author of the Makefile.am file can make arbitrary
post-installation tweaks, this is, I think, the only reliable way to
get this information.

Incidentally, buildsupport/, possibly buildsupport/misc/ in the
repository was intended to be the home of tools like this.

See you,

Norman

Norman Gray  :  Physics & Astronomy, Glasgow University, UK
http://www.astro.gla.ac.uk/users/norman/  :  www.starlink.ac.uk