Here are the quotations for next week (December 12th to 18th):

1. '.What's the use o' them advantages to you ? Man the Oppressor comes along, an' sees you're likely an' good-lookin', an' grinds you to the face o' the earth. What for ? For his own pleasure: for his own convenience ! Young an' old, black an' bay, white an' grey, there's no distinctions made between us. We're ground together under the remorseless teeth o' the engines of oppression !'.

2. .he behaved himself very politely, and ate bread dipped in salt, and was petted all round the table, moving gingerly; and they drank his health, because he had done more to win the cup than any man or horse on the ground.

3. '.You misunderstand me as usual, love. Work's the essence of life; but to expend precious un-returning vitality and real labour against imaginary danger, that is heart-breakingly absurd ! If I can only teach a - a little toleration - a little ordinary kindness.'

The sources of last week's extracts (December 5th to 11th) are as follows:

1.  (..."No, confound him!" said the father testily. "Go on, sir! Injecto ter pulvere -"   This is from "My Son's Wife" in A Diversity of Creatures.

2.  (..."Mass without mind always comes a cropper." . )  This is from "The Church that was at Antioch" in Limits and Renewals.

3.   (..."What? Oh, I see. Non hoc semper erit liminis aut aquae caelestis patiens latus. . )  This is from "Regulus" in A Diversity of Creatures.

Good wishes to all, John R