Kent:

Now that the sxs are dramatically reduced I would think after 3 y. he would also have quite a lot of muscle weakness and impaired motor patterns. Have you started a strength training and neuro-muscular re-education program yet?

Dr. Douglas M. White

From: - for physiotherapists in education and practice [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Kent Osborn
Sent: Saturday, December 11, 2004 8:07 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [PHYSIO] obturator nerve entrapment

I have a 23 y.o. patient with possible nerve entrapment.  His complaint is 3 years of altered lower leg sensation and tendency of leg to externally rotate and foot to invert unless he focuses to prevent it.  He has modest scoliosis but symptoms arose after one incidence of LE stretching event.  Stroke was rules out.  Also of note, he reports his genetalia drift to the same side.  Pectineus and/or Adductor brevis are extremely hypertonic.  I have treated upslip as well as severe myofascial trigger points in these external rotators: Piriformis(lumbosacral plexus),IlioPsoas(lumbar plexus and femoral nerve),pectineus(femoral and obturator nerve),adductor brevis(obturator nerve), and obturator internus(lumbosacral plexus) and externus (obturator nerve).  All trigger points were treated ala Travell trigger point compression with good but not truly lasting results.  Obturators where treated via the anus only once, and also externally and via StrainCounterStrain.

Results: eradicated lower leg numbness and 80%+ decrease in other complaints.  Tendency to invert and hypertonus persist. I had hoped the tendency to invert was a function of weight shift for increased proprioception but this does not explain the return of sensation without more that 1.5 days of improvement for inversion.

Any pointers that might  help get that last 20%?

Sincerely,

Kent Osborn PT,MTC

Founder

SafeSlideBoard.com