There are three categories of "absolution."
1. Declatory
2. Precatory
3. Judicial

1. DECLATORY. This is a statement that God forgives sins. It may be a simple
statement, a liturgical announcement, or a quote from Scripture. Some examples:

A. God forgives sins.

B. "If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just, and will forgive our sins
and cleanse us from all unrighteousness." (1 John 1:9)

2. PRECATORY. This is prayer that our sins may be forgiven. Some examples:

A. May Almighty God have mercy upon you/us, forgive you/us your/our sins, and
bring you/us to everlasting life. Amen.
Misereátur vestri omnípotens Deus, et dimíssis peccátis vestris, perdúcat vos
ad vitam ætérnam. Amen.

B. May the almighty and merciful God grant us pardon, absolution, and remission
of our sins; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.
Indulentiam, absolutiónem, et remissiónem peccatórum nostrórum, tríbuat nobis
omnípotens et miséricors Dóminus. Amen.

C. (This example has a declatory component in the first paragraph and a
precatory component in the second paragraph.)
Almighty God, the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who desireth not the death
of a sinner, but rather that he may turn from his wickedness and live, hath
given power, and commandment, to his Ministers, to declare and pronounce to his
people, being penitent, the Absolution and Remission of their sins. He
pardoneth and absolveth all those who truly repent, and unfeignedly believe his
holy Gospel.

Wherefore let us beseech him to grant us true repentance, and his Holy Spirit,
that those things may please him which we do at this present; and that the rest
of our life hereafter may be pure and holy; so that at the last we may come to
his eternal joy; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

Omnipotens Deus, Pater Domini nostri Jesu Christi, qui non vult mortem
peccatoris, sed potius ut se ab impietate sua avertat, et vivat; quique
Ministris suis potestatem dedit, immo præcepit, ut populo suo pœ nitenti
Absolutionem Remissionem que peccatorum eorum declarent et pronuntient: Ipse
singulis vere pœ nitentibus, et sacrosanctum Evangelium suum sincere
credentibus, indulgentiam concedit et absolutionem.

Quapropter veram pœ nitentiam et Spiritum Sanctum ejus ab eo postulemus,
quò hæc ei complaceant quæ nunc agimus, et vitam reliquam pure sancteque
peragamus, et ita tandem ad æterna ejus gaudia perveniamus; per Jesum Christum
Dominum nostrum.

D. O Lord, we beseech thee, absolve thy people from their offenses, that
through thy bountiful goodness we may be delivered from the bonds of those sins
which by our frailty we have committed. Grant this, O heavenly Father, for the
sake of Jesus Christ, our blessed Lord and Savior. Amen.

3. JUDICIAL.

Judicial absolution requires the power to administer it, that priests and
bishops have (gratia gradum faciens). Example:

I absolve thee from all they sins, In the Name of the Father, and of the Son,
and of the Holy Ghost. Amen.
That just about covers it. As I am still waking up, as I type this, I may have
missed something.

Cheers,

Terrill

to: [log in to unmask]