2) Where then does the millenialism come from that was so clearly voiced around Y1K in documents such as 'Wulfstan's Address to the English?' Why did they think that there was something likely to fulfill prophecy in the year 1,000? wulfstan's address is not millennial it's apocalyptic. he, in good augustinian fashion, did not expect the millennium in the year 1000, but the end of the [invisible] millennium as augustine argued in the city of god -- antichrist, armaggedon, last judgment, not heaven on earth. if you want further on this, i recommend two new books on apocalyptic and the year 1000, one by me, one by Michael Frassetto. VKI: I agree that Wulfstan saw the Christian Church Age as the Millennium and saw it as coming to a close about 1000 AD not at all beginning in 1,000 AD as present day premillenialists saw the possibility of a millennium beginning in 2,000 AD. But why does this make him apocalyptic and not millennial? This is hair splitting. i beg to differ. historians, anthropologists, even the church fathers who denounced the subversive ideology, understand "millennial" only to refer to expectations of collective salvation on this earth, in the flesh, a messianic kingdom traditionally lasting 1000 years (hence, millennialism, of which messianism is a subset of millennial movements led by a messianic figure). i have suggested using the term "apocalyptic" to mean that one believes the great transformation is imminent -- cd be millennial (as i think the peace of god is) or eschatological (as is wulfstan's). apocalyptic also refers to the scenario whereby we get from this world (ruled by evil and injustice) to the full manifestation of god's justice, whether on a cosmic or an earthly plane. almost all formal church writing, hence our documentary base, is carefully cleansed of any explicit millennialism. not until joachim did it re-enter formal discourse, and then with explosive results. if you think this is splitting hairs, you need to re-enter a world where ecclesiastical authorities held millennialism as taboo, with grave consequences for those who broke that taboo. They were being apoclyptic specifically because they were millenialists--today they would be called post-millenial by those who classify various millenialists. as one of those who classifies these movts, i permit myself to correct you. the pax dei was post-millennialist -- ie the millennial kingdom is built by divinely inspired human agents and only after (post-millennium) does xt come again. wulfstan, aelfric, other churchmen who believed they lived at the apocalyptic moment and who's writings are preserved, are careful to be eschatological (last judgment, heaven and hell, no earthly salvation). not millennial of any variety. somewhere, i'm not sure where, i have suggested that the pax dei of 1033 was an early manifestation of post-millennialism and the mass-pilgrimage to jerusalem of the same year was either eschatological or pre-millennial (jesus is coming back, be at the center of the cosmos for the resurrection of the dead). the desire of pilgrims not to return is a good sign of such motivations. Please e-mail me the titles of the two books you talk about. one edited by me, Andrew Gow and David Van Meter, the other by Michael Frassetto, both called The Year 1000, both with excellent articles. r