Of course we have lots of frescoed churches in Italy.  More to the
point, we have lots of frescoed "gothic" churches in Italy.  These
undermine the assertion that in "gothic" churches _the_ frescoes (i.e.,
not just some of them) were replaced by stained glass (or by colored
glass of some sort).  Generalizations about a class of objects that are
untrue for a significant number of objects in that class are misleading
and possibly even dangerous, as they can lead to significant
misconceptions about the class as a whole (a case in point being the
frequently seen statement that Italy has very few "gothic" churches,
when it fact it has many, most of which just don't fit someone's notion
of what a "gothic" church really is).

I am also not certain that Italy is all that much of an exception with
regard to the use of frescoes in its "gothic" churches.  "Gothic"
churches that clearly once had extensive frescoing also occur elsewhere,
for example in the Czech Republic.  One may suspect too that, just like
their "romanesque" counterparts, many northern European "gothic"
churches once had extensive frescoing that was later removed either for
confessional reasons or because it was peeling and no longer stable or
even for reasons of changes in taste.

Where Italy seems to be an exception is in its relatively smaller
amount, vis-a-vis practices elsewhere, of space devoted to windows in
its "gothic" churches.  This has as a corollary a relatively greater
amount of parietal space available in such churches for frescoing.
Which, of course, does not mean that the proprietors of "gothic"
churches with more window space did not also extensively fresco their
walls, vaults, columns, window frames, etc. that were _not_ glass.

Best again,
John Dillon

Tamara Quirico wrote:

> We have lots of frescoed churches in Italy - which maintained the
> tradition rather then replacing it with the new stained-glasses windows.
> I would say it is more an exception, an italian characteristic.

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]