On Sunday, December 5, 2004, at 11:27 am, chris crockett wrote:

> medieval-religion: Scholarly discussions of medieval religion and
> culture
> From: John Dillon <[log in to unmask]>
>
> > A couple of exterior views (rear apses of the cathedral and, on the
> left, the mausoleum):
> > http://www.ripalta.it/629CorfinioSanPelino.jpg
> http://www.abruzzocitta.it/comuni/corfinio.html
> > And of the rear of the cathedral alone (the carving is said to
> be of
> the thirteenth century):
> > http://www.liceoscientificosulmona.it/ROMANICO-ABRUZZESE/Schede-
> edifici/S_PELINO_A_CORFINIO/FOTO_S_PELINO/PROSPETTO.jpg
> > and:
> http://www.liceoscientificosulmona.it/ROMANICO-ABRUZZESE/Schede-
> edifici/S_PELINO_A_CORFINIO/FOTO_S_PELINO/PROSPETTO.jpg
> > (again, wtw!)
>

> interesting how a prismatic apse is more attractive than a
> straightforwardsemicircular one.

This one appears to have been converted from semicircular to apsidal.
That also happened (also in the 13th cent.) at the not too distant
abbey church of Santa Maria in Valle Porclaneta (outside of today's
Rosciolo [dei Marsi], AQ).  I've tried unsuccessfully to find a web-
available photograph of that apse.  There's one on p. 369 of the
recently published _L'Abruzzo nel Medioevo_, a cura di Umberto Russo e
Edoardo Tiboni (Pescara: Ediars, 2003).  This, BTW, is chock-a-block
with illustrated little survey articles on different aspects of
ecclesiastical art and architecture of Abruzzo: for Santa Maria in
Valle Porclaneta see esp. Adriano Ghisetti Giavarina, "Aspetti
dell'architettura di alcune chiese benedettine," at pp. 361-74.

Santa Maria in Valle Porclaneta is not a site that's ever likely to
arise in connection with Saints of the Day.  A longtime daughter house
of Montecassino, it is located in an area of the Parco Regionale
Sirente-Velino now threatened with development for mass tourism.
Here's a brief survey:

Historical surveys (Italian-language):
http://web.tiscali.it/COMUNEMAGLIANOMARSI/Testi/s_maria_in_valle.htm
http://www.sezione16.terremarsicane.it/chiesemonu2/origini.htm

Exterior views (front):
http://www.immagini3.terremarsicane.it/ing3rosciolo/c_copia(93).htm
http://www.arrigoamadori.com/viaggi/AppenninoCE/VelinoSirente/veli10.jpg
Another (showing, in comparison with the two preceding, how misleading
tourist industry photos can be):
http://www.photoroger.it/Chieseabruzzo_htm/chiesa_di_smvp.htm

Interior views:
http://www.belpaese.nl/FOVALP01.HTML