On Thursday, December 23, 2004, at 7:50 pm, Phyllis wrote:

> Today (24. December) is the feast day of some pretty obscure saints;
> I'm glad Advent is almost over:

> Gregory of Spoleto (d. c. 304)  Gregory's story seems to be
> fictional.  It tells that G. was a priest at Spoleto during
> Maximian's persecution.  The governor gathered all the people of
> Spoleto together and asked them if they still worshipped the state
> gods; they replied that they did---but then all pointed to G. as a
> destroyer of cult statues.  He was arrested, refused to sacrifice,
> and was beheaded.

Unless we accept Delehaye's hypothesis that this Gregory is identical
with the otherwise unattested Gregory of Lilybaeum who gets a passing
mention in the not entirely reliable late eighth-century or very early
ninth-century Life of Gregory of Agrigento by Leontios, priest and
"hegumen" of the Greek monastery of St. Sabas on the Aventine in Rome,
our first notice of this saint, apart from his variously dated Passio,
is the martyrology of Ado of Vienne (858), based on an old Roman
martyrology.  If I remember correctly, there is also a hymn to him in
the central Italian (Umbrian-Roman) hymnary once known as the Hymnarius
Severinianus; although the bulk of this collection seems to have been
assembled in the late ninth or early tenth century, some of its material
is thought to have been added in the course of the following century.
Also bespeaking G.'s pre-modern cult in the same general area is an
antiphon in his honor preserved in an eleventh- or twelfth-century
antiphonary formerly belonging to San Sisto vecchio in Rome (Roma, Bibl.
Vallicelliana, C 5).

But the venue in which G. is best known lies outside of Italy.  Thanks
to a translation ascribed to St. Bruno of Koeln, G.'s relics now repose
in that city's cathedral, where they are said to be housed (along with
those of Sts. Felix and Nabor) in the upper part of no less famous a
monument than the Dreikoenigenschrein (1180-1225), seen here:
http://www.koelnerfoto.de/Seitenauto/KOELN/DOM2/source/24.html
Not too shabby for a saint some might think obscure.

The Koelner Dom also possesses a head reliquary of G., made ca. 1500:
http://www.koelner-dom.de/rund_um_den_dom/schatzkammer/galerie.htm
(this is the fifth item from the left, expandable if you click on it).

Frohe Weihnachten,
John Dillon

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]