From: DURHAM Brian <[log in to unmask]>
To: "[log in to unmask]" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: RE: Watching Briefs - A Useful Form of Archaeological Mitigation?
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2004 17:21:50 -0000

Louise - First thing is to decide on your definition of `watching brief'.

If watching brief means the archaeologist standing there keeping out of
trouble and recording anythin he sees, definitely dubious.

But if you substitute the term archaeological `recording action', which has
been around since the early 1990s and I presume was developed from the term
`investigation and recording' in PPG16 para 29, then that is potentially
very valuable.

The curator can require a WSI that commits the developer to maintaining
sufficient flexibility in his programme so he can agree from time to time an
area which shall be under the control of the archaeologist for an agreed
period to complete the necessary recording action.

The curator may need to attend site to confirm that the arrangement is
commensurate with the significance of the deposit needing recording, acting
as umpire in agreement.  I've seen it work from both sides, as contractor
getting an area of motorway construction cordonned off with dumpers moving
past at full speed, and as a curator warning a developer and all concerned
that something important has been found and is going to affect their lives.

I can copy you the Council's condition CARC02 that secures the above, and a
proforma for the brief that sets out the Council's general requirements to
be confirmed in the WSI, if these will help. - Brian